To be a leading regional college with the highest internationally acclaimed standards in the field of health sciences.
To promote science and knowledge through qualifying and developing highly professional healthcare providers to participate in distinctive, professional, and scientific research in order to meet the needs of the healthcare sectors and provide community service.
(Mastering Professional Clinical Practice)
Vice Deanship of Post Graduate Studies and Research
The High Clinical Diploma in Musculoskeletal Physical Therapy is the FIRST specialized, post-professional, clinical-education physical therapy program in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and Middle East region. It is approved by the Saudi Commission for Health Specialties (SCFHS) and offered by the Vice Deanship of Postgraduate Studies and Research (VDPSR) at Prince Sultan Military College of Health Sciences, Dhahran (PSMCHS). The program gives physical therapists the opportunity to advance their professional career to become Clinical Specialists in Musculoskeletal rehabilitation. Graduates will be eligible for promotion to Senior Therapist (similar to a master’s degree). The program also qualifies the therapists to become Clinical Mentors to appropriately transfer their knowledge and skills to novice physical therapists.
To enhance the physical well-being and quality of life of individuals in Saudi Arabia by expanding the availability of guideline-based clinical practice of musculoskeletal physical therapy. This can be accomplished by educating and training proficient patient-care providers who can accelerate the progression of practitioners from novice physical therapists to clinical specialists in musculoskeletal rehabilitation.
• Integrate skill improvement in the areas of clinical reasoning with improvements in the application of manual therapy, therapeutic exercises, neuromuscular reeducation, and patient education.
• Produce highly-skilled patient-care providers for patients who suffer musculoskeletal disorders.
• Train mentors for building the next generation of Clinical Specialists in Musculoskeletal Physical Therapy.
The program duration is two calendar years. The duration of the program is divided into four modules. Each module lasts for six months. Clinical practice represents more than 85% of the program’s study plan. Enrolled trainees will be involved in intensive didactic education courses that will enrich their knowledge about effective management of common musculoskeletal impairments, in terms of clinical reasoning, examination, treatment plan designing, manual therapy techniques and case reporting. Seven didactic courses will be provided throughout the program.
Each trainee will be a fulltime employee (40 hours/week) throughout the two years of this program. Trainees will be involved in patient care activities during all working hours, except for the hours that the trainee is participating in didactic education. The trainee will conduct the clinical practice during each module in one of multiple health-care facilities (governmental or private), which are accredited by the SCHS as clinical training centers and affiliated with the program. During clinical practice, each trainee will receive daily one-to-one mentoring from experienced therapists as they perform patient management.
Why join the program?
Because this program:
• helps trainees receive a specialized clinical training that qualifies them to become a musculoskeletal clinical specialist. Graduates will be eligible for promotion to Senior Therapist.
• introduces trainees to the evidence-based practice guidelines for examination and treatment of common musculoskeletal conditions based on the latest research findings in the musculoskeletal physical therapy field.
• gives trainees the chance to conduct clinical practice in accredited training centers.
• provides trainees with advanced, guideline-based musculoskeletal manual and exercise therapy skills and trains them on using it during their daily clinical practice.
• prepares trainees to become clinical training mentors to take over the training tasks in the physical therapy departments.
• accepts the most qualified applicants, which increases the program quality and ensures optimum clinical supervision.
• provides 1:1 clinical mentorship for the trainees, which creates an excellent mentoring environment in terms of knowledge delivery and clinical instructions.
• have earned a bachelor degree in physical therapy from a recognized Physical Therapy program with a minimum cumulative GPA equivalent to GOOD.
• have a minimum of two years of clinical experience after graduation.
• be licensed as Physical Therapist by the Saudi Commission for Health Specialties.
• provide an English Proficiency Test Score. Minimum score of 69 for TOEFL iBT, 523 for TOEFL PBT, 193 for TOEFL CBT, or 5.5 for IELTS test.
Applicants must fulfill the following requirements:
• A copy of the Physical Therapy Degree Transcripts.
• Previous Clinical Experience Certificate.
• A copy of the Saudi Physical Therapy License.
• English Proficiency Test Score.
• Statement of Purpose
• Pass an admission examination and/or an interview set by the VDPSR.
• Two letters of recommendation, one from a clinical supervisor and another from a physical therapy faculty member.
• A letter from a sponsoring organization approving the candidate for full time training for the whole period of the program.
All applications are to be submitted through the online admission system at http://psmchs.edu.sa.
Upon successful completion of the program requirements, graduates shall receive a Certificate of Completion that is “High clinical Diploma in Musculoskeletal Physical Therapy” issued by Prince Sultan Military College of Health Sciences. This certificate qualifies the graduates for promotion to Senior Therapist two years after graduation.
Dr. Ahmed Farrag PT, PhD
Office: +966 38440000, Ext. 6941
Mrs. Salma Alshammari
Coordinator of Postgraduate Studies
Phone: +966 38440000, Ext. 6288